In recent years, fluoridated water has come under attack for being unsafe, but 70 years of research by the American Dental Association and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says otherwise. Areas where water has the recommended .7 mg/L fluoride concentration see a reduction in the number of adults and children with cavities. In fact, children who do not drink fluoridated water have three times more cavities. At Cosmetic & Family Dentistry of Weatherford, we emphasize preventive dentistry to help patients keep their natural smiles for life, and the best preventive plan includes drinking fluoridated water, brushing and flossing, and visiting our office twice each year. Call to find out more or to schedule your appointment today.
Bottled VS Tap Water
Put down that bottle of water. If you’re like millions of Americans who drink bottled water you’re missing out on the benefits of fluoridated water. Some of the many reasons you should consider making the switch include:
- Tap water is actually safer to drink than bottled water. In the US, tap water is regulated by the US Environmental Protection Agency and the Safe Drinking Water Act. Bottled water is not regulated by the EPA, and FDA regulations are not as stringent. In 2015, 14 bottled water companies had an E. Coli recall. This is likely a direct result of these lenient regulations.
- Minerals in tap water, like fluoride, supply the body with necessary nutrients for health and development.
- Bottled water is wasteful. Not only do 75% of water bottles end up in landfills, but it actually takes the same amount of fossil fuels to produce a year’s supply of bottled water as it would take to fuel more than a million cars for that year.
- Bottle water is pricy, and it MAY be tap water. Almost 50% of bottled water is actually from the tap.
Benefits of Fluoridated Tap Water
70 years ago, January 1945, Grand Rapids, MI became the first city to add fluoride to the public water supply. This decision was based on more than a decade of study beginning in the 1930s. Fluoridated water is the addition or removal of naturally occurring fluorides to reach the optimal level to protect health, and fortify tooth enamel. Fluoride in the water supports dental structure in two ways: developmentally and topically. As teeth develop, fluoride in food and water is absorbed and used to make tooth enamel (the hard outer surface of teeth). For adults and children, fluoridated water becomes topically beneficial as it mixes with saliva and protects teeth from decay and remineralizes damaged areas. By adjusting natural fluoride levels to maximize health benefits, patients receive numerous benefits including:
- Teeth develop stronger and healthier
- Cavity protection for patients of all ages
- Cost efficient saving money spent on cavity treatment and bottled water
Call Your Weatherford Dentist
If you’re interested in finding out more about the effects or benefits of fluoridated water from the dentist Weatherford residents prefer, Cosmetic and Family Dentistry, don’t hesitate to call.